This course teaches the principles and foundations of sustainable design.
Permaculture is an ecological design system. It is an approach to finding solutions for sustainability in all our undertakings – a way of looking at such questions as
“How do I build an ecologically sound home?”
“How do I decrease my own ecological footprint?”
“How do I direct my money to do good work that restores communities and local economy?”
“How do I grow my own food and create life-affirming conditions for other living things, instead of relying on commercial food supply and all its vices?”
Permaculture teaches us how to design natural homes, how to create abundant gardens, plant food forests, how to include backyard animals, how to build biodiversity to protect wildlife, regenerate degraded landscapes and ecosystems, harvest rainwater, develop ethical economies and communities, and much more.
As an ecological design system, permaculture focuses on the interconnections between things more than individual parts. Permaculture relies on ethics, design methodology and numerous design principles.
Go at your own pace at home and explore the topics covered in this Permaculture Design Course include:
• Principles of natural systems … so you can design with the wisdom of nature
• Sustainable design methodologies … so you build in the modern sustainable way
• Patterns in nature, culture and society … so you can increase your awareness and don’t have to reinvent the wheel
• Reading the land & understanding natural processes … so you can see more depth in what’s going on around you and why it happens the way it does
• Large scale land restoration techniques … so you can be part of the solution
• Water harvesting techniques … so you can get more water than you thought possible
• Design principles of sustainable human settlements … so you can leverage the wisdom of others who are further along on a similar journey
• Grey water recycling … so you can get the most out of your water
• Natural building strategies … so you can understand and create healthy buildings
• Cultivated & productive ecologies … so you can grow for maximum benefit
• Food forests, plant guilds, gardens for self-sufficiency … so you can build productive forest gardens with the right mix of species.
• Energy conservation technologies … so you can minimize your ecological footprint
• Appropriate technologies and renewable energies … so you know all your alternative technology options and how to use them
• Urban environment permaculture … so you can practice permaculture in cities
• Wildlife management and biological pest control … so you can deal with nuisances without chemicals and unsustainable practices
• Land arts and community activism … so you can be a force for change in the greater world if you want to
• Invisible structures: ecovillages & credit unions … so you can find ways to not be so isolated and without resources on your permaculture journey
• Community supported agriculture … so you can understand what credit looks like in a sustainable system
• Strategies for an alternative nation … so you can help shape the change and lead your community towards a more sustainable future
What makes this Permaculture Design Course so special?
Our goal in creating this online Permaculture Design Course (PDC) was to help make the philosophies and practices of permaculture available to more people around the world.
Organic Life Guru teamed up with Scott Pittman, one of the foremost teachers of permaculture in the US, to bring high-quality, engaging, affordable instruction into your home. This course was filmed at a live PDC in Costa Rica. All the instructor/student interaction is captured on film. Each student’s design process is included in the course so you can learn from their experiences from the comfort of your own home.
The online course is streamed – a decent internet connection is all that is needed to view the course. Once the course is purchased, you have life-time access to the course so you can revisit any portion at any time. Because this course does not offer a certificate it is affordable.
This course is perfect for the permaculture enthusiast who can’t afford the money or time to take an in-person course but would still love to benefit from all the amazing content of a live Permaculture Design Course taught by an internationally renowned instructor.
This course was created from the Permaculture Institute’s Permaculture Design Certificate Course. The live course was filmed at a permaculture farm and retreat center just outside San Isidro General, Costa Rica in February 2014. You can view the course outline here. Due to some technical challenges during filming a small portion of video footage was lost. Audio of these sections is augmented with still pictures.
About the Instructor
Scott Pittman, one of the foremost teachers of permaculture in the US, has taught the subject extensively worldwide on four continents. He is the founder of the Permaculture Drylands Institute and co-founder of the Permaculture Credit Union. Scott co-taught with the founder of permaculture Bill Mollison, and helped to establish the permaculture movement in the US Southwest.
His experience includes working with indigenous and traditional people worldwide, design projects that range from backyards to thousand-acre farms and activism in promotion of sustainable living. Scott is the lead teacher for most Permaculture Institute programs. He holds Diploma in Education, Permaculture Design, Site Development, and Community Service.
About the Publisher
Organic Life Guru’s mission is to empower the world’s leading organic growers to share their skills, experience, and message with other growers like you wherever you are.
Organic Life Guru is an organic gardening, permaculture, and sustainable food systems education publishing company.